Bungaraya Island Resort - Kota Kinabalu, Sabah

Bungaraya Island Resort is located in Gaya Island. It's the largest island in the Tunku Abdul Rahman National Park and the closest island to Kota Kinabalu. Echo Resorts have 2 luxury island resorts in Gaya Island namely Bungaraya Island Resort and Gayana Marine Resort. We have stayed one night at Gayana Marine Resort earlier this year and this round we decided to check out Bungaraya Island Resort. It's approximately 45 minutes slow boat ride from Jesselton Point.

There's 4 types of room - Superior villa, deluxe villa, plunge pool villa and two-bedroom deluxe suite. We booked a 3 days 2 nights stay. Currently the resort only opens on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Package (RM 650 per night for 2 pax in a Superior villa) includes breakfast for 2 person, 1 night accommodation and return boat transfer (Jesselton Point - Bungaraya Island Resort - Jesselton Point).

Our room comes with a king size bed, in-room safe, mini fridge, LCD TV (variety of channels), 4 bottles of drinking water, minibar (selection of can drinks without a price list), coffee or tea making facilities, self controlled air conditioning, mosquito repellent, torch light that's not working, complete toiletries, hair dryer, bathrobe, iron, ironing board and portable modem (under Celcom line - upon request).

Spacious comfortable room but smells musty. Apart from that, bathroom door doesn't close properly. Luckily they have a separate door for a toilet built inside the bathroom. Besides that, the bathroom vanity is too low and puts a lot of pressure on my lower back when brushing my teeth or washing my face. I'm an average height women around 159cm and I can't imagine those people taller than me using the bathroom vanity. 

Shower is hot enough but water pressure is low. They have this pandan and ginger flavour shower gel that does not produce lather. The exact same shower gel provided at Gayana Marine Resort. On the other hand, ceiling fan is making a loud rattling sound and we have no other option but to turn it off. Luckily there's two air conditioners in the room. Else the rattling sound will be so disturbing at night.

I didn't sleep well for both the nights. Somehow on the first night, I woke up in the middle of the night after hearing some clicking sound as if a light switch has been turned on. I dare not open my eyes and continue to sleep. On the 2nd night, I woke up again in the middle of the night after hearing some noises in the bathroom. At first I thought it was my partner but when I opened my eyes I saw he was sleeping soundly beside me.

Well, I went back to sleep after that trying to brush it off. The last thing I know I was awakened by the water dripping from the room ceiling! It was only 7.30am and I decided not to continue with my beauty sleep. The dripping was so bad that 2 hours later my side of the bed was soaked. Glad that it only happened on our last day. Seems that the water dripping is due to the ceiling condensation when the attic space above is poorly ventilated and insulated. (Curiosity leads me to Google search). Since we are checking out on that day, we didn't want to make a big fuss about it. Overall I might say it's an unpleasant stay! 

Check in time: 1.30pm
Check out time: 10.30am
Boat depart from Jesselton Point: 12.30pm
Boat depart from Bungaraya Island Resort: 11am



Superior villa


King size bed


Superior villa


Bathroom door unable to close properly


Bathrobe, iron, ironing board, slippers, in-room safe and mosquito repellent


Bathroom


Bathroom with a separate toilet room


Bathroom


Toiletries


Toilet


Coffee or tea making facilities and complimentary drinking water


Complimentary drinking water and do not disturb sign for door


Portable modem (upon request at the receptionist counter)


Views of the tropical rainforest


Chilling area


Superior villa


View from our villa


Tiny particles on top the bed frame


Ceiling condensation


Water droplets from the ceiling


Water droplets from the ceiling


Address:
Bungaraya Island Resort
Polish Bay, Gaya Island,
Tunku Abdul Rahman Park,
88000 Kota Kinabalu,
Sabah, Malaysia.
Tel: +60 88-380 390

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Pines Restaurant (Kinabalu Pine Resort) - Kundasang, Sabah

Philippines - Day 3 (Manila Chinatown - Intramuros - SM Mall of Asia)

Hounon Ridge Farmstay & Camping - Kundasang, Sabah