Korea - Day 6 (Alpensia Ski Resort)

Last night before I went to bed, I did an experiment by leaving a glass of water outside the balcony. This morning I got myself a frozen water glass. The weather was so cold that the water freeze! Morning temperature is around -3℃ and there's snow showers that lasted until 2pm. My partner went down for his skiing lesson at 10am while I took my own sweet time getting ready and meet him at the sport park around 11.30am. He took 1 to 1 lesson for 2 hours and his training instructor Pavlov is from Chili, US. His lesson ended at 12pm and both of us went for lunch at Lotteria.

Type of lesson:
a) 1 to 1 (price - ₩ 310,000 for 2 hours / ₩ 480,000 for 4 hours)
b) 1 to 2 ~ 4 ((price - ₩ 450,000 for 2 hours / ₩ 690,000 for 4 hours)
Participant minimum age is 6.
4 hours lesson - morning 2 hours + afternoon 2 hours / afternoon 2 hours + night 2 hours

Ski equipment and clothing rental - ₩ 45,300 after 30% discount for hotel guest.

Ski program for first timer:
a) safety instruction
b) equipment handling
c) way to slip and stand up in a safe way
d) way to move on slope
e) turn and stop
f) Pflug Fahren

Below are the safety regulations in the ski resort:
To prevent accidents:
a) Please wear protective gears such as a helmet and do a series of warm-up exercises before skiing or snow boarding
b) Adjust your binding to a level where you feel comfortable
c) Please get enough sleep and then enjoy skiing or snow boarding to prevent accidents caused by fatigue
d) Stop skiing or snow boarding when you think "I will stop after one more ride". You will get injured when you let your guard down

To prevent accidents in ski lifts
a) Beginners are advised to ride a ski lift after acquiring basic techniques and then use a slope right for their level
b) Please do not move too much while you are in lift to prevent derailment or drop
c) Wait patiently for safety staff's guidelines when the lift stops suddenly
d) Riding a lift or skiing/snow boarding after drinking can lead to an accident

To prevent collision and falling down
a) Please follow safety staff's guidance and warning signs on the slope
b) A sudden stop or break on the middle of the slope is dangerous. So please use the border or either right or left on the slope
c) Reckless riding such as straight downhill or speeding can cause accident or injury
d) When you carry or handle your equipment, please make your equipment stand right to avoid collision with others.



Frozen water glass


My partner and his training instructor


I had shrimp burger while my partner had Hanwoo bulgogi set comes with Pepsi drink and cheese stick. Both our burgers are good. Buns are soft and fluffy. His beef patty is tender and moist. This is the first time I had cheese stick and I fell in love with it. The cheese really stretches and it's delicious. This is by far our best meal in Alpensia Ski Resort.

After lunch my partner went back to rest while I decided to explore the ski resort alone. There's an indoor water park, puppy playground and concert hall. During winter, all sort of surfaces can get slicks and slippery. To prevent slips and falls you need to have a proper footwear. I didn't have a proper snow boots and that really taught me a lesson because I actually slip on the icy surface. It happened so fast and the next thing I know I was sitting on the icy floor. I'm so glad that I didn't injure myself.

There's this Korean guy who saw me slipped and fall but instead of helping me he walked towards his friends. Luckily I managed to get up on my own. Then, I assumed he's telling his friend as I saw him pointing towards my direction. It's just sad that nobody actually came to help me. I guess not everyone has the same heart as me... 



Lotteria


Restaurant ambience


Shrimp burger - ₩ 4,700 won and Hanwoo bulgogi set - ₩ 10,800


Hanwoo bulgogi burger


Shrimp burger


Pepsi and natural cheese stick


Natural cheese stick


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort playground


Basketball court


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Puppy playground


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Concert Hall


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Gangwon-do Daegwallyeong Music Tent


Alpensia Ski Resort


Icicle


Ocean 700 Water Park


Alpensia Ski Resort


The place where I slip and fall


My partner went for another round of skiing by himself at the training ground before he returned his ski gear and clothing. Finally after 1 hour he got exhausted and decided to call it a quit. Basically skiing is a tiring sport because it engages your entire body and uses a lot of force to stay in control. Not to mention I can't even push the rear binding down with a pole!



Alpensia Ski Resort Snowboard School


Board rental / return


Ski rental


Ski return


Clothing rental


Ski equipment


Ski boots


Alpensia Ski Resort Sport Park


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


Alpensia Ski Resort


We had our tea break at CU convenience store again. This round I asked the staff which brand of ramyeon noodles is good. She recommended me to try Nong Shim Yukgaejang cup noodles (the most famous cup noodles in Korea) and guess what? It's really good. My partner choose Lotte watermelon juice and it tastes like cough syrup to me. Apart from that, it's just too sweet for my liking. After tea break, my partner went for 1.5 hours of sauna and foot massage at a Spa in Intercontinental Hotel (Price - ₩ 120,000) while I decided to just chill in our hotel room.

Total bill - ₩ 3,200
 


CU convenience store


Watermelon drink - ₩ 1,200 and ice - ₩ 600


Nong Shim Yukgaejang cup noodles - ₩ 1,400


Nong Shim Yukgaejang cup noodles


Microwave oven and hot water


We had our dinner at this Yukgaejang Restaurant in Alpensia Ski Resort. I had original yukgaejang with spicy beef strip comes with fresh noodle whereas my partner had brisket deckle yukgaejang with spicy beef soup and rice. You get to choose either rice, ramen or fresh noodles for your yukgaejang dish. I love the fresh noodles. It has a soft and silky smooth texture. Besides that, the soup is slightly spicy, savory and comforting. Overall we enjoyed our dinner very much except for the side dishes. Fish cake doesn't taste good and it's too soft for my liking. Before leaving the restaurant, my partner emptied his bowl of yukgaejang soup. However, we feel extra thirsty after our meal.

Total bill - ₩ 27,000



Yukgaejang Restaurant


Restaurant ambience


Cold water


Side dishes


Side dishes


Brisket deckle Yukgaejang with spicy beef soup - ₩ 14,500


Rice


Original Yukgaejang with spicy beef strip - ₩ 12,500


Original Yukgaejang with spicy beef strip comes with fresh noodle


After dinner we walked to the park and I tried to make a snowman. It's not as easy as it seems! The snow is too powdery and won't stick together. Not to mention I can't even make a snowball. In the end I have to give up as my partner couldn't stand the cold weather. I wish I have more time to finish that snowman...

Note: ₩ 1,000 =  RM 3.40



Arcade


My first snowman


Alpensia Ski Resort (night view)


Address:
Alpensia Ski Resort
325 Solbong-ro,
Daegwallyeong-myeon,
Pyeongchang-gun, Gangwon-do, South Korea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philippines - Day 3 (Manila Chinatown - Intramuros - SM Mall of Asia)

The Pines Restaurant (Kinabalu Pine Resort) - Kundasang, Sabah

Hounon Ridge Farmstay & Camping - Kundasang, Sabah