Hamsters - Roborovski

I used to have a hamster as pet. My first hamster's name was Hammie and its a Roborovski hamster (Phodopus roborovskii). They are the smallest and fastest hamsters and can live up to 2 to 3 years. Eventhough most website says that they don't bite but in actual fact they do bite! Once bitten you will see two tiny holes in your finger. :p

Sad to say that Hammie died just right after one week she was brought back home. I took Hammie for a bath and almost drowned her. The next day Hammie has this wheezing sound and one day later she's gone. :( I put her in the name card box and buried it outside my house.

One month later I bought another pair of Roborovski hamster. I named them Jubie and Junior boy. :) I told the shop owner to selected one female and male for me but ended up both were males! Sad... Anyway, now I know how to take good care of them and they lasted for almost 2.5 years.

I feed them with hamster food bought from the pet shop which consist of grains, pellets and some dried fruits. Seems that they don't feed on pellets and preferred grains and dried fruits. Sometimes I will feed them with rice and they will squeak happily.

It's sad to see them grow old, unable to walk or run and finally rip... I have buried them outside my house, putting them in the name card box which fit perfectly.

Roborovski hamsters are fast, agile and naturally timid or shy and hard to tame. They are generally recommended as "look but don't touch pets". They are not the type of hamsters that you can hold and stroke. So if you are looking for a family pets, they are not the right one for you unless you enjoy watching them run on the wheel at lightning fast speed. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philippines - Day 3 (Manila Chinatown - Intramuros - SM Mall of Asia)

The Pines Restaurant (Kinabalu Pine Resort) - Kundasang, Sabah

Hounon Ridge Farmstay & Camping - Kundasang, Sabah