The Hunt for Sabah Milky Way 2017 organized by the Sabah Stargazer

I remember back in my primary school days, we need to list down our top three choices of occupations that we want to be when we grow up. My first choice was always to become an astronomer! Whenever I step outside at night, I always look up to see if the stars are out. My parents always keep me informed if there's any meteor showers or any closest comet approach to earth. Back in the days, there's no such thing as Google and we rely solely on newspapers or TV for news. However, never once I saw a meteor shower or shooting stars because it's being drowned out by city lights. 

When I grow up, I realized I can only set aside my dream job and turned it to a hobby instead. I've been searching online for any organization or group that share similar interests as me. That's when I stumbled upon Sabah Stargazer on Facebook. They have been organizing events such as Geminids Meteor Shower Viewing Party 2015, Perseid Meteor Shower Viewing Party 2016 and the latest one was The Hunt for Sabah Milky Way 2017.

I never knew that we can see Milky way in Sabah and I got so excited when I found out that Sabah Stargazer is organizing a hunt for it! It's a 8 days 7 nights Milky way hunt, stops in various location. Initially I was a bit worried looking at their itinerary because it's stated that this event is tailored for the adventurous, full of experience, full of red tapes and backpacking type of explorers. I've never been on a backpacking trips and camping gives me the chill. Apart from that, they have listed down "must have" and "good to have but not necessary" items as below:

Things that you must have for this exploration will be as follows (MUST HAVE):
a) DSLR / Mirrorless camera (FX / ASPC / M4Third)
b) Fast wide lens (ie. F1.4, F2.0, F2.8 lenses)
c) Intervalometer / Remote Timer
d) Extra battery for camera*
e) Extra memory card
f) Tripod ( Ball head type recommended)
g) Insect Repellent
h) Mosquito coils
i) Torch lights / head lamps
j) Windbreaker / jackets (for cold temperature locations)

Things that will be good to have but not necessary:
a) Red LED light - best for night photography
b) Tent for those who would love to camp under the stars
c) Sleeping bag
d) Floor mat
e) Wet tissue
f) Universal adapter socket
g) Star chart
h) Personal star tracker

I only have my Sony RX100 camera (which I always shoot in auto mode) and I know nothing about astrophotography. I just want to witness the Milky way with my naked eye. After some hesitation, I decided to join this hunt and I was glad to know from the Sabah Stargazer team that it's all right if you don't have the "must have" items with you.

I went with my husband who doesn't know anything about astronomy and talking astronomy to him is like “playing the qin to a cow” (The Chinese idiom that describe the wasted effort of talking to someone who cannot or will not understand) However, it's so sweet of him to accompany me on this trip and become my driver despite his busy schedule. So, instead of following the whole journey, I decided to pick those destination that has proper accommodation so that he can rest at night while I can enjoy the hunt with the rest of the team.

We've only started joining the team on the 2nd day at Sabah Tea Resort. That night, we had our dinner together and for the first time we met the Sabah Stargazer team and the rest of the participants. Initially I was a bit worried about how everyone would get along since all of us just met for the first time. However, it turned out really well. We clicked instantly and the whole journey were filled with laughter and joy.

Our first night was a disappointment because it rained all night until next morning. Luckily the weather was good on our second night at Hounon Ridge Farmstay. It was very windy, cold (11'C) and foggy but it cleared after 4am. This is the first time I witness a summer Milky way. It looks like a faint hazy band of light stretching across the night sky. What the naked eye sees compared to photos are different because cameras work differently than our eyes. Cameras can take longer exposure but our eyes can't. Hence, photos will leave you in awe but in actual fact you can only see a faint hazy band of lights.

We joined them again at the Tip of Borneo. This round, the night sky was very clear and we managed to snap a lot of photos. Thanks to Dr. Choy's tripod and guidance, I managed to snap some great photos. Overall, it was a fun and fruitful trip. The Sabah Stargazer team did a great job and looking forward to their next event.

Click on the link below to read more about our hotel stay in this Milky Way hunt journey.

My first Milky way photo taken at Hounon Ridge Farmstay, thanks to En. Harris from Sabah Stargazer


Hunt for Sabah Milky Way schedule


Hunt for Sabah Milky Way schedule


Hunt for Sabah Milky Way schedule


Hunt for Sabah Milky Way schedule


En. Luqman from Sabah Stargazer being interviewed by the media at Sabah Tea Resort


En. Luqman teaching one of the participant and General Manager of Sabah Tea Resort Mr. Martin, the real purpose of a telescope for astronomy


En. Harris from Sabah Stargazer presenting a certificate of appreciation to Sabah Tea Resort in recognition of being chosen as Prime Stargazing Location


One of the Sabah Stargazer participant being interviewed by the media at Sabah Tea Resort


Sabah Stargazer participant in action at Tip of Borneo


Sabah Stargazer in action at Tip of Borneo


Tip of Borneo


En. Luqman from Sabah Stargazer setting up his camera for sunset photo


Night sky at the Tip of Borneo


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo, thanks to Dr. Choy


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo (Can you spot a shooting star?)


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo


Milky way photo taken at the Tip of Borneo


Night sky photo taken at the Tip of Borneo


Hunt for Sabah Milky Way explorer stickers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Philippines - Day 3 (Manila Chinatown - Intramuros - SM Mall of Asia)

The Pines Restaurant (Kinabalu Pine Resort) - Kundasang, Sabah

Hounon Ridge Farmstay & Camping - Kundasang, Sabah